THE INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON
SOCIAL MEDIA FOR GOOD
May 14-16, 2015
Kimse Yok Mu (KYM) is an international non-governmental organization carrying out humanitarian aid and development projects in 110 countries around the globe without distinction of any kind, such as race, ethnicity, language, religion or gender.
Following the International Conference on Philanthropy and Peacebuilding, organized by the Academic Studies Department of KYM in collaboration with the Journalist and Writers Foundation and Istanbul Bilgi University with the participation of 25 academicians from 19 countries in April 2014, 2015 Conference aims to reveal theoretical contributions as well as representative practices addressing the use of new generation internet applications to generate social benefit.
Social media platforms have a high potential to serve social benefits by adressing a wider user base from individuals to non-governmental organizations, from private sector to public institutions, thanks to their ability to reach a wider community and any content instantly and freely. Moreover, contrary to the clear distinction between the producer and consumer of information, news and any kind of content in the past, they now host “Prosumers,” as a new form of collective consicousness, merging the producing and consuming acts by an, inherent, motivation 3.0. The effectiveness and popularity of such cooperation-based collective consciousness, “The Wisdom of Crowds”, can be followed in the effect of the accuracy of our searches in Google search engine’s patented PageRank algorithm, as well other popular channels such as the ask-the-audience lifeline of “Who Wants to be a Millionaire” contest, motivated by a search for a more accurate answer, compared to the phone-a-friend lifeline.
The International Conference on Social Media for Good aims at systematizing and improving existing models on social media, suggesting new innovative approaches and practices, using their effectiveness in enhancing goodness and philanthropy, and resolution of social problems.
With an interdisciplinary outlook, we invite academics, NGO professionals/volunteers, social media experts and the young to submit papers related to but not restricted to the following topics:
• Social media and philanthropy
• Social media and improving capacity of NGOs
• New & reliable platforms for social good
• Using social media for volunteerism
• Motivation 3.0 on social media
• Struggling with bystander effect: Activism vs. clictivism
• Social media for campaining and raising awareness
• Social media in time of crisis
• Social media and fundraising
• Encouraging youth
• Encouraging celebrities
• Collaboration opportunities for social good
• Harnessing collaborative technologies
• Philanthropic applications
• Social media vs. traditional media
Expenses for travel (economy class round-trip) and accommodation will be covered for speakers.
IMPORTANT DATES (UPDATED)
• Deadline for Abstract Submission: December 29, 2014
• Notification of Abstract Acceptance: January 30, 2015
• Deadline for Full Paper Submission: April 15, 2015
• Registration Due: April 15, 2015
• Wellcome Reception: May 14, 2015
• Conference: May 15-16, 2015
PRE- CONFERENCE WORKSHOPS (Details tba)
Besides academics, NGO professionals/volunteers, social media experts, KYM particularly encourages involvement of young as representative prosumers with the use of highest rates of social media. A series of pre-conference workshops will be organized, as a separate but relevant component of the conference, at universities in different regions of Turkey and some other countries in November- December 2014, for graduate & undergraduate students.
These workshops aim to contribute to enhance the youngs’ knowledge on philanthropy, social media and provide them with the opportunity to develop new applications or projects on social good.
The selected practices developed by students after the workshops will be presented at the “Youth for Social Good” special session.
Pre- Conference Workshop Venues (November 2014, details tba)
• Canik Basari University- Samsun
• Fatih University-Istanbul
• Gediz University-Izmir
• International Antalya University-Antalya
• Ipek University – Ankara
• Selahaddin Eyyubi University- Diyarbakır
• Suleyman Sah University- Istanbul
• Turgut Ozal University-Ankara
• Zirve University-Gaziantep
• Vistula University- Poland
Important Dates for Workshops
• Deadline for project proposals: December 29, 2014
• Notification of selected proposals: January 12, 2015
• Deadline for projects: March 16, 2015
• Notification of the selected projects: April 13, 2015
Co- authored works are eligible. Authors can submit more than one abstract.
• Abstracts must be written in English and must not exceed 500 words.
• Abstracts must include title, name of author(s), author(s) institution, author(s) email address, abstract (body text) and keywords.
• Abstracts should be submitted, as attachments in MS Word format, to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than December 29, 2014.
• An email confirmation will be sent upon successful submission of an abstract.
• The authors will be notified about abstract acceptance by January 12, 2015.
Full Paper Submission
Authors of accepted abstracts will present their papers at the conference. The authors should submit full text of their paper by April 15, 2015.
Full papers must be written in English and must be 15 to 20 pages long. (Including title page, all tables, appendices, and references).
• Double spacing and 12pt Times New Roman should be used.
• Citing and references should be formatted according to APA style rules.
• All of the pages of the paper should be numbered
• All papers should be submitted as attachments, in MS Word format
For more information about APA style, please follow the link: http://www.apastyle.org/learn/quick-guide-on-formatting.aspx#Running%20head
For the updates of the conference and pre- conference workshops that will be held at the universities in Turkey and some other countries, please follow the link: http://academic.kimseyokmu.org.tr
For further questions, please contact the Secretariat of the Conference at email@example.com
Registration is free of charge. Please fill out the form on http://academic.kimseyokmu.org.trDetails